Monday, May 30, 2005

Thailand Trip part 2

I reckon the four of us woke up around nine in the morning the next day. Or was it just me? I have the tendency to wake up way too early, after which becoming a piece of roti prata on the bed. But not this morning... I had woke up and proceeded to wake up the rest of the chums. Breakfast is waiting. We paid for it, we ought to eat it! Plus the fact that we had already paid for the breakfast…


It’s about nine thirty when we reach the café downstairs. I should have taken a picture of the place. The lobby, receptionist and the café are all in the same place actually. That’s how small the hotel is. Oh… I forgot to mention, how fierce looking the receptionist is when she is busy and frustrated. That’s what I saw on the first day when we checked in. she wasn’t in one of her moods on this morning. Smiling, she passed me the coupons for the breakfast. Well… not bad for a start to the day I reckon. But what’s going to happen had ensured that I failed to live up to a promise I had to someone before I came to Thailand.


I think the four of us are kind of groggy or something, because all of us just read one side of the menu, completely missing out on the other side. So in the end all of us had just the normal ABF: ham, eggs, sausage, toast, juice and tea. Not exactly the most filling but acceptable, though I reckon I can do a much better scrambled egg than theirs. My pals said the orange juice was revolting. I wouldn’t know, I was having pineapple…


After breakfast, those pigs decided to go back to sleep. Think CSN is here in Thailand to sleep. So, I wouldn’t venture out so early in the morning. Even if I would, it would be the malls, which would be pointless since we are going there in the afternoon after all. So up I went back to the room. It seems that on espn, it was the western conference semis and on star movies it was ‘Wind talkers’. So I had quite a good time switching around the two channels. After a while I decided to take some pictures around the hotel room. Had to switch off the flash, in case I wake Shev up.



That’s the bed, with Shev in it. It’s actually pretty comfortable. My kind of bed.


Going over to the dark side...


Another crap photo... trying to point to FatShev...


After twelve, we were all up and ready to go around. We went to the rest of the shopping malls around for today, like the Siam Discovery Centre. Nope, their discovery centre and our discovery centre is not the same. Probably meaning finding new bargains is what their ‘discovery’ means. It’s just like any other shopping mall around in Singapore just that it could be cheaper slightly at times. We walked around for quite some time and decided to go somewhere else. I think we went to Siam square where you have little shops all over the place. Small malls, small shops and stuff, somewhat like Queensway shopping centre. And they sell similar stuff too. Amazingly, I couldn’t find a single star shaped trinket all over the place. Thais are obsessed with beads these days… and decorative stones and wood carvings. And not even trinkets in the shape of puppies. Talk about a treasure hunt with no treasure in the end…


We popped by their star bucks for a leg rest. I ordered a cappuccino, while the rest of the gang ordered… damn… I forgot the name in the split second. I think its mocha… is it? The one with coffee and cocoa. Yah… I think its mocha. Mocha ice. Apparently, when I saw their drinks, I thought they had all ordered different drinks. All their drinks had a different shade of brown. CSN was complaining how thick his drink was, and it was giving him a headache. I had a sip and found it to be one of the lightest coffee I had ever drunk. Fatshev has the darker version, David had the lighter shade. So the conclusion is unanimous… CSN cannot make it!


CSN and his headache giving mocha.

While we were there, I saw this sign.


So, beware of your belongings ok... they might attract pickpockets! I suppose that’s what they were trying to say! Hakhak…


We also saw this fella, who is without any drink or food, sitting at a leather couch, seemingly interested in some business on his laptop. But our eagled eyes told us otherwise. He was basically looking at ladies through out. While we were there, there was this really sexy lady who came in to buy a drink. And she has the most beautiful pair of eyes I’ve ever seen (exaggeration of course. She had a pair of very beautiful eyes, no doubts). As the guy was behind me, CSN had the honor of updating me every 10 seconds, that the fella behind me is eyeing that lady through out. The lady chose a seat directly in front of me, which means, directly in front of that fella as well. So I had a pair of eyes, transfixed in our direction all the while! And we started to think of stupid scenarios like they are drug sellers or something… damn dumb…


We went for a foot massage after the drink. Actually we had wanted a full body massage, but somehow the lady had heard wrongly from CSN or something, and had us all sat down at the foot massage area. I was too keen on the body massage actually as I am a very ticklish person. So I wasn’t complaining. The rest didn’t either, so we all had our foot massage. CSN was sitting on my left, suppressing his laughter and anguish all at the same time. His masseur was kind of amused, worried and concern. I was just laughing at him all the time each time he turned over to me and telling me how he felt ticklish and pain. CSN is indeed a source of laughter through out the trip.


We decided to go back and change into something more suitable for nightlife. On the way back, we decided to try some food from the roadside stalls for dinner. Now, this is the place we found all the language barrier. They speak zero English and us, zero Thai. They gave us their menu and gave us another baffling time. They are all in Thai and we asked for a menu with translated menu. They did give us one in the end, but with the menu so much shorten. So with much pointing and gesturing, we managed to order some grail squid, stir fried prawns, omelette, tomyam soup and something else which I had forgotten. It wasn’t as satisfying as we seen the others ate, firstly being what we ate wasn’t what they were eating. Secondly, the food which we had is really not that exciting at all. Bill, and we are off…


We decided to go patpong for the first look at their nightlife. Although I wasn’t too keen on a tiger show, I was most willing to watch it for the experience. So there was this person on the roadside who introduced us to his show. We followed him and got into a relatively small place. There wasn’t anyone in the place at the moment, just the four of us. The women on the stage were not very pretty or sexy either. I was turned off immediately. So we had the mummy coming over to us, bringing people over to sit with us as well. note I say people, not women. The fact is, the one sitting beside me throughout is a person with disorientated sexuality. His/her palm is even bigger than mine! I was trying to make it as interesting an evening as possible, making little chats with the people around me and buying them drinks.

Letting my guard down was a big mistake, as I didn’t check the receipt each time I bought a drink. They brought coke over and in the end, the receipts were writing rum, Heineken and stuff. And I actually believed the mummy’s words that each was 40baht. Dumb of me… but it’s a lesson learnt of course. So I chalked up about 6 drinks, each between 150 to 300 bahts. And after some mistake in tipping the ladies, I think I wasted around 2000+ baht there. And all I saw there was reluctant and poor performances on the stages. And of course, the companionship of unattractive people on my sides.


We left the place like in half an hour before proceeding elsewhere. But, we still have some luck as we saw a sports shop. We went in and marveled at the low prices on authentic adidas apparel there. Each of us bought some items there before we asked around for a good disco. Everyone gave us the same answer. Sukhumit Site 4. mmm… it has to be correct if more than four people gave us the same answer. So we hopped on a cab and went there straight. We got there, and saw a lot of pubs with lots of Caucasians in there. Each of them with a Thai girl in their arms. So we had got to another place to pick up Thailand girls again. But this place is not exactly the same as patpong. Patpong had their pros all decked out outside their brothels. And I can say, they are really kind of pretty. Here, you pick up girls in the pubs. And I believe those girls are all the same, waiting to pounce on one of those Caucasians, who of course in the first place, are there to find them. Not that I had that impression in me inherently, because when we walked away, and asked another Caucasian where we can find a good disco. He just told us to go back to the same place. He said ‘Just down by the corner! You find many chicks there! Have fun!’ well… that sums it up.


In the end, while we were discussing our next move by the roadside, a Thai approached us. I was thinking he was another of those fellas who’s going to introduce us to some sleazy place again until he asked if we want a tuktuk. Oops… my apologies… so, we asked him if he know where we can find a good disco. CSN told him it’s a big place, two floors. The driver immediately says he knew where. Hollywood Awards. We asked if we can walk there, he say four hundred meters away. We were thinking if we want to walk that four hundred meters when the driver said he would drive us there, for 40bahts. Then we asked again four hundred meters to which direction. His eyes widen and he smiled, ‘No no… four kilometers!’. We suddenly had this thought that he is trying to change the distance so we would take his tuktuk. Then we thought again, forty bahts, just give him for some comfort. So we hoped on, all four of us, with David sitting on the floor board.


In the end, we traveled more than four kilometers… before we really reached Hollywood Awards, for 40bahts! Cheap!


Hollywood Awards is like a disco pub… huge disco pub. Why did I say that? Because the whole setup is like a disco, but yet they don’t have a dance floor! Then CSN told me they used to have one, but the area is now filled with tables and chairs. More Profit. And from the turnout, I can see that they are really earning lots. It’s full, and there aren’t enough chairs to go around. No cover charge, but each group of people have to buy a bottle of liquor before going in. so we bought a bottle of Johnny walker for 1500bahts. Then there is this fella who came along to help us out. He got us the soda water, coke and ice. Pour the drinks for us and find us chairs. I appreciate this part of their disco. And thank goodness, he speaks excellent mandarin and we had no problems communicating with him. A Thai Chinese. And a pretty handsome fella. Unfortunately I had wasted so much money in patpong, if not I would have tipped him even more.


Initially we had the DJ playing music… mostly hip hop remixes… so basically the first thirty minutes there wasn’t that exciting, plus the alcohol not streaming through my blood vessels just yet. When the alcohol finally kicked in, they started to have their live performances, singers and dancers on the stage, rousing the crowd to pulsating tempo of Thai pop and rock! And the best part is, every single gal on the stage is prettier and better endowed than the ones back in patpong. Talk about rubbing the salt into the wound. And we begin to see people climbing onto tables to dance and stuff. It was a long time since I had liquor in such quantity and my legs are beginning to lose its feelings. So I stayed put on my chair and move to the music. I simply enjoyed myself. Though I believed I would have had a even better time if there was a dance floor!


We left the place at about two. But we hung around, decided to play some pool before leaving. Shev seeing me being unsteady, told me to sit down and watch which I obliged willingly. They were just playing with CSN boasting how he is going to finish them off. And yesh, he won the game, without all the moves which he claim he could. Ha… but yesh, nonetheless, he won. That’s what matters after all isn’t it? I got a few cues in and sunk a few balls when we were about to leave. Somehow Shev is getting hungry again and we walked across the car park to the stalls opposite, opening for patrons of the disco. The noodles we had are tasty, but too little. But for 30bahts, no one is complaining. CSN even took off with two bottles of their drinking water. ‘We paid for it already!’ I wasn’t vilified… I needed the water as well…


So we got back in one piece, not without some action. We hailed a cab with a very young driver. We told him where we want to go, using Asia hotel as the landmark. He nodded and proceeded to drive us there. But somehow, he did not know how to go! He drove and soon his phone was on his left hand. He called his friend and asked! He passed the phone to CSN and CSN had to tell his friend where we wanted to go and stuff… amazing… another thing amazing was, there was a traffic jam! At 2am! And our dear driver hopped out of the cab and asked another driver where our hotel was… and got a negative respond. So we were running around in his cab… and he was beginning to perspire nervously! Our cab driver was ganjiong! Ha… frankly I didn’t know if I should laugh or do something… overall, to me, it was amusing. When we finally reached, the meter was like 140+bahts. We gave him 200bahts, and he pushed back 100bahts to us. We insist on giving him the 100bahts, as we see how he had shown effort in bringing us back. And we felt it must have been quite an experience for him too…


Back to the hotel room…


That’s me...


And that’s Shev...


And no... Despite the time being 3+, those buggers still want to carry on with dai di season 2! But somehow it was pure fun again for the 2nd time! All sorts of crap and nonsense again during the game. West Brom emerged victorious this time, with a close battle throughout the season! Was a 3 horse race, with Shev and I closely behind through out! CSN got relegated! Hakhak…


So at last… at 530am, we proceeded to sleep…


And that’s it for day 2!