Monday, April 04, 2005

Its flooding!

Last saturday's recruit was a bang... STMicroelectronics is recruiting again! I heard they are expanding and building another fab, that's why they need so many people these days. It would be my dream start to my working life. It was mood dampening last weekend where there is not a single semicon work available. That's why I began searching for M.Eng. openings. Not bad, for now I've found two. Today I met one of the profs. Had a good talk with him for an hour. Seems like he is pretty keen to take me in as his student. I've known him since my IA days where he was my supervisor. Then I took one of his subjects last semester and this time round he is my FYP moderator.

If I am going to get the STM job, I would have to foresake this M.Eng. opportunity. If I don't, I will probably go for his M.Eng. Now what I am scared is STM can't get in, then M.Eng. school reject me. Then I really 'hambeen' liao...

Interesting talk we had just now. He told me the project is going to focus on derivation of basic equation for the new double gate stack of transistors. Must satisfy all the different aspects of I,V,Gm,Vth... blah blah blah. Then use MEDICI to simulate and verify the equation. Wait... do you guys know what the hell I am talking about? I've lost so many readers, will I scare you guys, whoever is left here, off too?

:-The most I talk to the wall... It's the best listener...

So all those technical issues, and the poisson equations and some MOS characteristics, I told him "Sir, that's A LOT!". He reassure me, that would not be two year's work, that means he is not expecting me to complete the research together with the team then can I graduate.

'phew......'

A bit more stuff, then he started asking me again if I am a local chap. I thought he was just confirming again because this scholarship is only open to locals and PRs. Then he started asking me about school registrations and army. And if the registration is similar for girls.

'huh?'

Then I remember his son is going to be enlisted soon. He is an immigrant so he didn't really know how the procedures go. Then we started talking about all these stuff like school and army, registration and education grant. Plus bond of local students. He was so happy to know we don't have bond, because he thought that MOE provides the grant so we must hang around a couple of years.

So he went 'phew......'

A bit more of the side track and we were back to talk about the scholarship. Then he started asking me about my honors standing. A scheme came up immediately in me. I told him 'Sir, If my FYP gets an A I should be safely on the way to a second upper. If B, might have some chance. But probably second lower...' Then I said 'Sir, I heard M.Eng they want second upper, so whether I can get this will depend very much on my FYP grade...'

So do you guys know what I was trying to do?

I was trying to...

KELONG!

Get it?

KELONG! LONG LIVE S-LEAGUE!

You guys must be thinking 'He gone kuku nuts already!'

Well... if you guys still don't get it, leave me a note. I'll explain with full illustrations. Probably write you a technical paper as well, then submit it to IEDM'05.

'What?! Simi?! Apa?!'

Nevermind for now... Just think about it as some mad fellow ranting away...


So that's about it. End of story for today.

'Huh?! Then what's flooding?' did I hear you say that with a tinge of confusion...

It's flooding with Opportunities....

Good Day!