Monday, February 07, 2005

Surrealism - A Reprieve or A New Beginning

“Hahaha… once again!”

For the first time in this winter, I see sun shining through my windows when I first woke up. The warm feeling upon my feet… something I haven’t felt for almost three weeks already. Isn’t it a signal that it’s going to be a beautiful day? And it’s a Sunday! I hopped off my bed, washed my face and brushed my teeth. Foraging into the depths of my fridge yielded a bunch of treasure… five slices of bacon, two pieces of ham, a soon to expired tub of margarine, half a packet of mashed up honey almond cereal and most invitingly, four cubes of luscious dark chocolate… my just bought bread and milk are sure going to come in handy right now! Out came my frying pan, spatula and cooking oil… no joke, research associates in my companies are all good cooks. With all the oil cracking and bursting under the extra hot oil… my bacon just sizzles… wooooooo… I just love to see the oil on the side of bacon sizzle. Off the pan and a slice straight into my mouth… “HOT! HOT! Ohhh…. Ohhh… GOOOOD!” food always tastes better when you cook them by yourself. My breakfast spread : four slices of bacon (one eaten already), two pieces of ham, one huge tub of honey almond cereal mixed in cold pasteurized milk, one cube of dark chocolate (the other three… save for other occasions!), four slices of bread with margarine… gluttony is a sin… AND HELL YOU THINK I CARE?! Hak Hak Hak!

Thirty minutes later, I was as bloated as a hot air balloon… just I go the other way. It went up, I went down, rolling on the floor…

Managed to budge, and peer over my windows. Oh great, the chums are having a soccer game today. I love a good game of soccer on a Sunday morning with the chums. The snow had prevented most of us from leaving the bed. The sun is up, time for play! And amazingly, my digestive system went on a five hundred percent overdrive and I was on the field in twenty minute’s time. It was a great day for soccer, and I was in the form of my life. I dashed from one end to another, made countless attacking and defensive headers, made some good tackles and interceptions. I even open the scoring for the day! What a corner it was, sailed over everyone, while my teammate had the slightest touch to it. Bounce once and appear inviting in front of me. No doubts and no mistake, I dispatched the ball into the bottom corner with no mistakes! 1-0! Just earned myself eight fantasy points and another five eventually for match winning goal! Yea… it was a great day indeed…

That sure is a signal for better times to come. The past weeks had been horrible indeed. Even pat had to hide from me sometimes. Once she even asked me if she had antagonized me… what a word… but no… that particular period was real bad. ZJ was at a seminar with me last Friday, technically speaking that is. He was late for it and was sitting in the row behind me. But he didn’t call me or anything, just sat there by himself. After the seminar he had asked me in the most cautious way, “is there anything bothering you?” he asked from a metre away. I was kind of confused by that statement actually. “You have that very strong aura around you again…” ha… oh well… maybe it’s just me huh? That’s true, it’s been quite some time since I first heard that comment about me. Since high school I reckon. Probably it is the eyes… some people say I have the looks of a killer, some say I look like a sick terrorist. What ever the case, no one had ever said I’m handsome. What a curse! In fact, there is something which I always hear people say,
“Girls like their boyfriends to be Tall, Dark and Handsome”
There is this friend who always ask me why I am never attached, citing I am already tall and dark. The story is very simple; no one has ever said anything about the weightage of each attribute. Tall 10%, Dark 5%, Handsome 85%. Period… enough said…
Anyway… here’s the reprieve I’m looking for. The main issue is, I am happy for now. Ha… how crazy life can get in this world, you will never know…

Work is great these days as well. The simulations are running well, the testings are going smoothly, with slight hiccups here and there. But mostly, things are going fine. Frankly, the good run that TS and I had for now was unprecedented. With all the good work going around, the technical paper that our boss is getting Patrick to write is all well and on the way. My data input will be in as well. Things are getting better as each day passes. I wonder if I am going to get a raise too… well… people get greedy and expect more during the good times, don’t we all? I’m guilty!

Managed to catch a ride down to City Central for an afternoon in the sun. There are street performances all round. Its amazing how these people knows when the sun is going to come out. They are ever prepared. A good seat by the fountain, a ham sandwich on my plate and a cup of newly brewed coffee on my table. Black without sugar. This artiste is performing a mixture of balancing of balls and coordination skills. And he juggles pretty well too… the person beside me was grabbed by him and ‘volunteered’. Lucky me… for now… but its all for the sake of fun and charity. My admiration for these street artistes, earning their bread and contributing to the less fortunate at the same time. A blue note I donated and off I went for a stroll by Clayton Park… the place smells like melting snow, though it’s still covered mostly by a blanket of white.

Lovely place…

Is it going to be a signal of a better beginning, or is it just a reprieve from my dark days? I walked on down the path of Clayton Park… I walked on down the Path of Life.

We’ll see soon enough…