Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Surrealism - As Time Flies (Part II)

Drops of persiration slide down my cheeks...

On my seventeen year this day, I was moving around furnitures and items from my home. I was moving down six streets, leaving the home where I've grown up in most of my life. It is funny at times when the city council says things like shifting us around for the better of the neighbourhood. They had promised to build a hospital and some social homes in this area. In the next three years, we saw the rapid raise of the mega shopping mall at that spot...

Greed?

The following year the I couldn't get into the park due to the construction of our neighbourhood's 'health facilities'. They had fenced up the area for 'safety' reasons. I stood by the fence reading the signs of what was coming our way, instead of watching golden leaves falling from the trees. I was thinking to myself... why? Nothing stays the same forever... good things always come to an end. But it signals another beginning...

It will only be a matter of perspective...

I was away from my family for the next two years as I went away for studies. I was in a foreign land surrounded by foreigners... or am I a foreigner in a foreign land? I soon catch up with the local culture and the people. I made new friends and also met up with a lot of people from back home. Seems like it was a pretty popular place to come. I spent a lot of time visiting the countryside, looking at natural sights, checking out farms and went to the ski lodge.

I had my first bling... and many more to follow...

I got to know of this place where people gather while festivities are celebrated. My pals and I got down during new year and see fireworks for forty over minutes. But somehow... out of nowhere I heard shoutings just a few metres away from me. A pretty huge group of young men(a few years older than I was back than) were shouting racist slogans and started hurling objects at us. I managed to dodge a glass bottle but one of my pals was hit. Another friend charged over and a fight ensued...

I didn't remember much, I had a bottle smashed into my head after a few blows and I found myself in the hospital the next day...

I was already thinking before that, whether to stay in that place for long. I knew I shouldn't... I will always be considered as a second rate person and I knew where it is... that is truly home...

I returned after I graduated, to the warmth of my mother's hug...

(End of Part II)